225/45 R17 replacement tires for 2002 VW GTI

The 1.8T GTI I bought with 26k miles now has 48k miles, and its Michelin Pilot MXM4s are on their last legs, and I am seeking advice on a replacement. The car and I live in the Denver area, but we don't make forays into the high mountains during the winter. Priorities are (in order) (1) dry performance and low noise, and (2) anti-hydroplaning and wet and snow traction.

While I liked the stickiness of the Michelins in the dry, they were just acceptable but not very impressive on slick roads, and I can't help thinking that there are better tread patterns for the wet than the Michs' 4 straight grooves.

Thanks for any advice, EC

Reply to
Crapton

toyo proxes :) grippiest tyre i've ever had

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Since I live in Denver also I can appreciate your concerns. What I think you are saying is that you want a quiet tire that is good year round in all the elements. I would recomend finding a tire that has the straight channels going around it, they help move the water out. For quiet you should have the shoulder blocks be close to each other. As far as the rest go, try to have the blocks in the center be more open. If you really want better snow performance have them siped it will really make a big differance. So now all you have to do is just find that tire. Good Luck

TD

Reply to
Petey

Reply to
Rick

Perhaps you are looking for more than is realistically possible with one tire. Have you considered buying a set of winter tires? I bought a set of winters, already mounted on steel rims, from Tire Rack and it has been one of the better purchases I have ever made. The original Conti Steamrollers that were fitted on my Passat were simply dreadful in an kind of frozen precipitation. Here in the mid-west (Cincinnati, if you need an more specific location) I change to the winters around Thanksgiving and switch back to the warm weather tires around April 1.

The winters are a little narrower and have a slightly higher aspect ratio (195/60-15 vs 205/55-15), although overall circumferance is the same. The narrower profile cuts through the snow better and the higher aspect ratio makes it less likely a pothole with damage the rims. Perhaps a second set of rims, steel or alloy, 16in diameter with a higher aspect ratio would make sense for you winter running. There is the additional cost of the rims, but if you keep the car for a while, there really isn't an additional tire cost. And, the additional cost is still cheaper than trashing the car, or yourself, in an accident.

BTW, I run Pirelli Winter Contact 210 and Bridgestone Potenza RE730 on my 94 Passat GLX. Have been happy with both, although I don't think that particular model of Potenza is still available.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

That's the Nokian WR... I've got them on my Golf and they fullfill all those requirements.

Reply to
Rob Guenther