'80 VW Rabbit relay plate

I have had some various funky issues occur with my headlights over many years. The most recent iteration led me to checking the relay plate under the dash. In low beam, one headlight would be on, the other off. High beams were ok. In the relay plate, according to the Bentley factory manual, there is one incoming 12V feed for both headlights. This is split in the relay plate to have separate feeds for left and right, and each headlight has its own fuse. When I had the relay plate out of its bracket and hanging down by the wires, I measured each side relative to ground, and one side was no or low voltage. I thought I had it characterized, but things changed when I pushed the relay plate back up onto its bracket (not an easy job and requires a fair amount of pressure because of the ductwork near by). I think the voltage readings changed side-to-side, as I recall. But exactly what happened there may not be important. Generally I think the relay plate has a high-resistance issue going on in this circuit, and the fact that it changed when I pushed it on its bracket makes me thing that these relay plates are pretty poorly built. Assuming I could get a new relay plate, it would be quite a job to swap it in, and I might still have problems. I would be hesitant to try and use one that's been sitting in a junker from a junkyard. Any suggestions? Anyone else have similiar problems? It will probably eventually be a bypass of the relay plate that's going to happen.

Thanks, Chuck

Reply to
Chuck