VW Rabbit Seat Belt Relay.

Hello: I have a '78 Rabbit Diesel Delux with a bad "Seat Belt Relay" (P/N: 171-919-437A). The dealer wants $120 for it. I've heard that the after market auto parts price is about $65. Only problem is that I can't find anyone who has it.

The thing is that the wires going into the door are always breaking after a while, so I looped them years ago -so basically the relay is useless to me.

My question, is there some way I can jump the terminals for the "Seat Belt Relay," and if so which terminal #'s need to be jumped?

Thanks, Bigblau

Reply to
bigblau

I checked the Bentley and the Haynes but they are no help. Is there a diagram on the relay? If so, post it and we may be able to reverse-engineer it.

Reply to
tylernt

What exactly is the relay for, does this car have automatic seat belts or something (didn't think a '78 would have that) or is it simply the seat belt chime? First thing I would try would be the universal relay, I know they run about $6 and who knows it might fit and be the cheap fix you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply. After I read it I got hold of a Robert Bentley Rabbit/Scirocco Service Manual and looked at the Wiring Diagram for VW Rabbit, DeLuxe Model for 1978 model year. There it was. All I did was jump terminal (50) with terminal (C) in fuse box and the old diesel came to life again. I'd insert a pic but I don't know how to insert it into this note. Anyway, thanks for turning on the light bulb in my brain.

Reply to
bigblau

Thanks for the reply. The seat belt relay only came with VW models with passive seat belt system, where the seat belt is latched to the door. -the ones that put the seat belt on as you step into the car and close the door. In my case, I have a 1978 Rabbit Deluxe Diesel. It also controls the low brake pressure warning light . I just figured out which terminals to jump, so I won't be needing the relay. Car runs great. Thanks again for the reply.

Reply to
bigblau