85 cabriolet headlight conversion

I want to convert my cabby to the 4 head lights. can any one direct me to a wiring schematic to do this.

Reply to
studyvwguy

Don't know of a schematic, but the down-n-dirty way should be pretty simple.

The inner lights will have two wires on each...one 12V + wire and one ground wire. Most likely they are H3 bulbs (the most common ones used in those setups). The 12V+ wire is the one coming right off the bulb itself. Connect this to the high beam wire on your existing headlamp plugs. That wire will be either white or white with a stripe. Then, connect the other wire to any suitable ground (radiator support, car body, or the brown wire in the existing headlamp plugs). Done. Easy.

If you want to do a more elegant job (and one that is more effective), get a headlamp harness for your existing headlamps and then get another harness for the inner lamps (since they're likely to be H3s, any aftermarket auxiliary lamp harness should work). Wire the harness for the inner lamps to be triggered by your high beam 12V+ wire and you're done.

Reply to
Matt B.