87 Golf Too Lean?

My 87 Golf is idleing rough. Also, as it is going down the road at speed, it feels like it bogs down from time to time. I have checked the timing, cleaned the contacts in the distributer, and checked the plugs. All of the plugs are clean. Too clean. They are pure white (instead of tan) and the electrodes are crystalized. I have checked the 'flapper' in the injection box and it moves freely. I am assuming that it is not getting enough fuel. Is there a way to adjust the fuel/air ratio?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
ironhorse

Sounds like a vacuum leak causing too lean out the mixture. Check all the vac. lines....

SFC

"ironhorse" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
SFC

What SFC said, look for vacuum leaks which could even be a loose intake manifold leak.

Have you done a tune up? Changed the filters, air and fuel at least? Definitely change the fuel filter since it could restrict fuel flow and pressure. Air filter probably is not your problem, but it is easy to check. ;-) How is the 02 sensor and the cat. conv? Do you hear the fuel pump and is it too loud?

dave

I have: Checked air filter Changed fuel filter Checked wires and cleaned cap and rotor Gapped plugs Checked timing Checked vacuum lines (sprayed with starting fluid while running) Same with injectors for bad seals. Richened mixture (slightly) O2 sensor has no effect when unplugged, but reads .7-.8 volts when warm.

The car starts but stumbles. It idles rough but smoothes out around 2200 rpm. It has an occasional hesitation at speed (60+) more so at 45 mph. It stumbles when taking off from a stop until the rpms come up.

Dave

All plugs are clean but are not tan. More of a light gray. They were pure white before I richened it up.

Reply to
ironhorse

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I didn't actually flow test them. I just sprayed starting fluid on them when it was running to see if air was getting by the seals. I haven't checked the fuel pressure. I'm not real sure how or where. Is there a place to hook up a gauge or do I have to make something for the fuel line? I have learned form this forum that a Bentley manual is a must and I'm going to pick one up. I've just been running off of experience so far. I've had approx. 25+ VWs and have pretty done it all except the fuel/ignition system.

Dave

Reply to
ironhorse

Hmmm I thought the 02 sensor readings should bounce around and not be "fixed" at a certain number? Does your engine have the Electronic Fuel Pressure Regulator on the side of the Fuel Distributor? Or the Frequency Valve that you can hear tick quickly? It really sounds like your engine is not going into closed loop and the 02 sensor is not coming online. Check to make sure that it is, since that could be causing your problem. I never noticed my 02 sensor was not working on my 83 Audi 4000s until it failed the emission test here in IL. It was a broken ground wire at the cold start valve that solved it's problem.

Fuel pressure is nice to know! ;-) I have replaced a transfer pump on more that one vehicle and got a boost in power!

I vote for a non-functioning 02 sensor system!

dave

Dave

I believe I have the frequency valve. It is a round black valve mounted on the side of the airbox. It has an electrical connetion on it, but when I was adjusting the mixture I noticed it clicking rapidly if I went too far.

How do I check the O2 sensor other than the voltmeter test? (By the way, the O2 sensor did flucuate depending on the exhaust flow, the numbers were an average based on another posting I had found in the archives)

Also, is there an simple way to check the catalytic convertor or do I need to take it to a shop?

Dave

Reply to
ironhorse

frequency valve. You can adjust your CO with a Dwell Meter then. I think the Bentley gives instructions. You do want it to buzz some IIRC, and turning the CO screw CCW should lean out the mixture. Of course you want to make sure the Fuel Distributor Plate is correctly adjusted/positioned also. :-) AFAIK These engines seem to run better leaner, so maybe it is running rich.

8^)

Good on the fluctuation of the 02 readings!

dave