Removing starter from '87 Quantum w/ AT

I am having a very difficult time changing out the starter from my 1987 Quantum with automatic transmission. I can barely move the lower nut, but it looks like I might be able to get it off if I use a stubby wrench, which I have to buy. There is not enough room for a socket.

I can't even see the upper bolt, but from looking at the new starter, which has a threaded upper hole, it looks like there should be a bolt, not a nut there. I have tried lights and mirrors, but can't see it. I guess by trial and error, I can get a socket on it.

Any suggestions? It looks like it would be a lot easier if the exhaust manifold pipe were not there, but I don't want to attempt taking that off.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed

4 cyl or 5 cyl?

On my Audi 4000S you get to the starter bolts from the transmission side, but it is a manual transmission with a 4cyl. Not too sure about the automatics! Just can't remember. lol Maybe on some I remove the engine mount bracket after I support the engine. About 3 bolts and 1 nut or so. Those bolts should take a 13mm socket.

good luck! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave