STIFF engine mounts on 87 Golf?

Hi all,

Another question about my 87 Golf, Engine feels like its bolted right to the frame! I replaced the 2 rear mounts last year but that made no difference at all and the front mount looks fine, seems soft but its $$ and I dont want to just replace it without some suggestion that its really bad.

When I back up with the brake on a bit I feel EVERY compression stroke and it vibrates the whole car! No wonder the headliner came down!

Any suggestions? Were these cars always this way?

Thanks,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Park

Front mount is usually the one that fails the most. I would have replaced that one first.

Also check under the car around where the rear footwell area is. Make sure the exhaust system isn't hitting the "mystery bar" that goes across under the car. If it is, that will transmit a lot of audible vibration to the body and cabin. if it's touching, your exhaust isn't hung right and you might have a weak, worn, or broken hangar. Easy fix there...just get a new hangar.

Reply to
Matt B.

Exaust is OK, I did that last spring. Front mount hasnt failed, its still attached and seems to have some flexability to it but its a bone shaker with a rough idle.

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
Keith Park

My experience is more with diesels, but I thought it was always the passenger side mount that was the first to go, and caused the most vibration?

The passenger side is a bit of a pain too, you have to take the bracket to a machine shop to have the old mount pressed out (unless you want to cut it out with a hacksaw) and have a new mount pressed in. I tried using a vice to press my new mount in -- no way, you need an 8 ton hydraulic press.

Reply to
tylernt

Not on a Mk2.

Also not on a Mk2 car. Are you talking about a Mk1 or Mk2?

Reply to
Matt B.

I believe that there is an alignment procedure. Basically you will loosen all three mounts and shift engine and trans around so it sits comfortably, then bolt them down. When you installed those two new ones maybe they are binding. Corrados 4cyls. like all new Corrado mounts or they will shake and rattle your teeth! With new mounts, those 2 Corrados that I have done are super smooth now.

Does it shake ALL of the time, idle, at speed, in gear, on deceleration? Is it an automatic?

Reply to
One out of many daves

That alignment may be an issue... its a 5spd and it only shakes when the engine is idleing rough or when Im backing up in reverse with the clutch fully engaged and pulling the RPM down with the brakes applied... once over

1200 RPM or so its silk smooth.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Park