87 Jetta almost stalls

Hey group! I replaced my fuel filter and the fuel line to the engine on my 87 Jetta and now when I come to a stop the engine acts as if it's about to stall, revs drop about 250 rpm, it used to idle at about 950-1000. Now it'll drop to about 700-750 then shoots back up to 1000. Should I have replaced anything else or what do you think? TIA

Maurice

Reply to
Jetta Guy

possibly bad: maybe some dirt entered the sytem, or it leaking gas externally.

possibly good: Of course you may have increased fuel pressure or flow and now the engine is running a litter richer with maybe more power. ;-)

Check the CO......it can be adjusted pretty close with a dwell meter. just a thought. later, dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't think it's dirt, but what's a "CO" and a dwell meter? (still a learning curve!)

Maurice

Reply to
Jetta Guy

CO is Carbon Monoxide. This is an adjustment that a mechanic would make by sticking a probe in the exhaust to measure the percentage CO contained in the exhaust gases while making the adjustment. (i.e. turning the mixture screw)

It can also be adjusted by using a dwell meter, although not as accurately. Sorry, but if you don't know what a dwell meter even is, it would be difficult to give a procedure and have you undestand it. You should pick up the Bentley service manual for your car. I belive it has the procedure for adjusting the CO using a dwell meter.

--VJS

Reply to
Victor Silva

I love it...use it and you'll never need your windshield wipers again. Chemistry saves the day.

Reply to
Darryl

I tried it a few times, my problem with it is it requires to much rubbing after the application. To much work for the little it does. Also, I live in the Northeast and in the winter when you get mostly sand/mud/salt on your windshield while driving behind any cars, it doesn't work on that. It only works with a light to medium rain.

--VJS

Reply to
Victor Silva

Depends on how much you use.

Being in Toronto, Ontario, I can understand your point. But the rain-x treatment will help with the blades skipping even though it doesn't help get the muck off the windshield.

YMMV.

Reply to
Darryl