87 Mustang 5.0 Stalls when Hot

When hot my 87 Mustang 5.0 will buck and stall. Normally it will 'restart' before engine dies completely. WHen this occurs the tach drops to 0 RPM even though the engine is still turning (but with no power). Because the tach drops so fast my guess is that the problem is ignition or electric base. I replaced the Ignition module on the distributor (TFI?) but this had no effect.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
gantone1

I am putting all my chips on it being the ignition switch. Wiggle you column around while driving and see if this duplicates the problem. You can also try applying pressure in each direction while driving to see if does it again.

Note: Do not attempt during rush hour or basically in any heavy traffic.

Don Manning

Reply to
Don Manning

Long time, Don!

If NOT that... may be the dist pickup assembly.

I ASSUME you lubed the TFI when you replaced it.. and it's not a 'Wells' product.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Actually, the one I bought said "Unit lubricated at factory". Or something close to that.

Don Manning

Reply to
Don Manning

Thank you for your help. The problem was caused by the pickup, installed a new distributor and it works great!

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
gantone1