'87 Scirocco 16V Oil pan

My son hit an object and smashed in the oil pan on my 1987 Scirocco 16V.

I'm assuming the oil pan from other years (86, 88, like that) of this car will fit. But as I recall the block here is pretty common. Are there other years and models I could get an oil pan off off in a bone yard and be sure it'll fit?

- Bill ______ For the curious, he hit a large truck brake drum which had somehow been discarded on a highway. He was one of eight or more cars to hit this. He was doing somewhere around 60 (slowing to take an exit) when this happened. It also tore off (as in "it's gone") the steering stabilizer and one of the mounting points for it. Damage inside the pan isn't known yet. The car was still running when he pulled over to see what had happened, but there wasn't enough light for him to get a good look. So, he started it up again and drove it a couple of hundred yards before the oil light came on. At which point he stopped, shut down, and got the car towed.

Reply to
Bill Leary

I had a quick look in etka and they have all the same partno. (1.6/1.8)

SFC

"Bill Leary" schreef in bericht news:sPSdnQaDVdp7eY3anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
SFC

Not worth going to the junkyard for. Just get a shiny new one for $20.

Get the good rubber gasket with the metal core:

Of course, there is a sexier option:

or if you really wanna go nuts:

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Maybe for my "primary" Scirocco. I've got two of these 16v's. One in very good condition, which I drive, and the other with great body age/damage, which he's been using while he gets his car fixed, and which I drive in winter. I might do this for the one I drive..

That's way in to the "nuts" area for me. At least on my current budget.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Thanks. I'll see what they have to say about it next week.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

FYI I have replaced a few curb-kissed oil pans that damaged the oil pump or the plastic windage adapter on it.

good luck and DO NOT USE A CORK GASKET!! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'm actually having the work done, and I don't think they'd do that, but I'll mention it.

The mechanic had commented that it's getting harder to find parts for this car, and he wasn't sure about the oil pan. So I thought I'd ask about that before I saw him next.

This oil pan is mashed up awfully badly, with a hole the size of a dime in one spot. The car was lifted off the ground when it hit.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

You can always offer to bring the parts to the mechanic. ;-) I do worry about the oil pump being broken, but let us hope that it is fine.

Now you could do the work yourself since the oil pan R&I is relatively easy to do! Just a lot of bolts!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

He's OK with that, if I can get it cheaper than he can.

His concern as well. He's going to take the pan down today or tomorrow.

Yeah, I've done it before (on a Rabbit). Which is part of why I don't want to do it again. The bolts are a pain, working on my back under a car is a pain, literally, and theres the issue of cleaning up the oil you know is going to spill (the puncture isn't right at the bottom), which is yet another kind of pain.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Well good luck with the repair. Hope the oil pump is fine too! Yeah lots of bolts and it drips oil onto the person under it, but it is not a "hard" job. lol

Reply to
One out of many daves

I think you should give me the beater Scirocco, since my attempts to buy one honestly have been met with failure (haven't seen one for sale since I stupidly sold my '84.) Nobody really needs three Sciroccos in one family anyway. I can get that unsightly thing out of your driveway and get some good use out of it. :)

Yeah, I'm with you. That and steel will bend somewhat before it breaks; I've seen a 1.8T (aluminum) oil pan shatter when hitting a too-high manhole cover - not my car thankfully! Fortunately, I was not driving a VW the day I saw this happen, and even more fortunately, a Porsche 944 appears to have more ground clearance than an A4-chassis Jetta :( poor thing...

Hope your son's car doesn't have any lasting damage. Hoping to hear of a successful repair soon...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've had this beat up one for about ten years now. It's got a bit over 260K on it at this point. Mechanically in pretty good shape with one major exception. It was hit in the left rear, just in front of the rear wheel, a few years ago. Mashed in the body, of course, and shifted the top of the strut town on that side about a half an inch. Also bent up the drivers side tray in back where the speakers go by a quarter of an inch and even bent the rear glass on that side. Yeah, bent, not broke. The car still handles very well, but if you look very carefully while it's standing on level ground you can just see that the left rear wheel cants a bit in at the top.

Actually, we had four at one point. Two 16V's, an 8V, and a 16V body (no engine, trans, interior). That third one was going to get all the mechanical stuff from the beat up one because I, also, could not find another Scirocco in good shape. The body had been sitting in a bone yard for over 10 years and was in very good condition. That project got scrapped (with $1200 invested) when the guy doing the work got offered another running Scirocco with 115K on it. That one has been sitting in a garrage for eight years.

Well, it's hardly ever in my yard. My son has it most of the time.

Take a look here for a picture of all but the 8V taken a year or so back.

?photo_cat=all&start=0&sel=2

The pan that just got destroyed already had a dent in it, though it actually had that dent when I bought it.

I haven't seen that myself. I do remember the main case of a air cooled one that had a hole punched right through it by a rock while the car was being off-roaded.

Actually, it's my car. I think I didn't make it clear which cars I was talking about in the earlier message.

The shop got tied up on other things. They say they'll get it taken apart by the end of the week and have me come in and look it over. They think that because it was running after the hit, and started back up after he stopped to check, and he said it sounded normal, and he shut down when the oil light came on, there's a good chance it's OK inside.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary