89 Jetta ?pings? while cold

First off, I've never heard a ping or knock before, so I don't know if thats what I've got.

I changed the oil on my wifes Jetta the other day. (89, 8v ~250,000km) I put in 20w50 but I dont remember what I had in it before. The tempuratures been around 20C during the day 10C at night.

I was outside when she went out that night, and it was making quite a racket. When she came back it was quiet. Today we drove around in it all day and no noise. Then this evening, I went out and it was "pinging" again.

I can only hear it with the windows rolled down (or my head under the hood) It varied directly with engine speed. Over the 5 minute drive to the store and back, it disapeared.

I always leave before her in the morning so I have no idea if it was doing this before the oil change.

So, could this be a "ping/knock" or is this some other noise? It doesn't quite sound like what I've read about pinging in this newsgroup.

Am I using the right oil?

20w50 is what the bently said if I read it right.

Any Ideas?

Reply to
Will

Randolph
20/50 oil is probably better suited to an older car - VW recommend lighter 15/40 on MKII Golf/Jetta's to lubricate the hydraulic tappets. I keep the 20/50 for my Beetle.

--Steve

"Will"

Reply to
tunafish

It's probably your cam followers (lifters). After developing a low oil pressure problem ('89 Jetta), I switched to 20w50 and the followers ticked like mad at startup. Swtiched to 5w50 and it runs as smooth as silk.

Darryl.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:33:46 GMT, "Will"

Reply to
Darryl

Thanks, for the suggestions.

Is it ok to wait untill my next oil change to swich to a lighter oil? Or will the followers get worn out if I leave them to tick like mad?

Will

Reply to
Will

Personally, I'd wait and let the car idle for a second or two longer than usual in the driveway. Once the dead heat of the summer arrives, I suspect that ambient air temperatures will take care of the ticking (as you note the ticking is temperature related).

Reply to
Darryl

It's been realy hot here (30c) the last couple of days, and the noise still lasts almost five minutes. I'm thinking I should dump my nice clean 20w50 dino and put in some 15w,10w or maybe even 5w50 (or 5w40?) dyno or synth. I'm thinking I wont find any dino thats 5w50.

On a side note... for the cost of a filter I should probably just put in a new one, but It seems like a waste of a new filter. should I dump it and reuse it or is that just not worth it?

...anyway, I kinda think the better oil wont help, so I'll be looking at new lifters. But I cant do that just yet, 'cause the budget is pretty tight right now. So I'll have to try and wait. It seems that most people agree that noise is more annoying than it is detrimental to the engine. So it seems safe to wait.

The lifters will be the biggest thing I have ever attempted myself. if anyone has any info about where they ran into trouble, or little tricks to make anything easyer, that would be helpfull. The Bently seems to have a good outline of the steps involved.

Thanks again

Reply to
Will

I have installed CD2 (Lifter noise stopper additive) in some of the abused engines I have changed the oil on. Seems to have helped! ;-) Yeah I know...........snake oil! lol

dave