'90 Golf exhaust ball joint, spring? Leaking

Hi, My '90 Golf has the original downpipe and cat converter. The ball joint between the downpipe and cat converter is loose and making a lot of noise. I've replaced the insides of the ball joint and replaced the bolts and copper nuts. It held for awhile, but the joint is leaking again. Reading on the Internet, it sounds like there is supposed to be a spring behind that nut? Is that how the joint flexes? There isn't a spring there, maybe rusted out sometime in the last 19 years?

The triangular flanges on the downpipe and cat converter are not in great shape. I'm not sure I can tighten the nut any tighter to close the joint without breaking the flange. Also why did VW design the joint so that there was one bolt on the bottom of the flange where all the tension occurs?

Any tips on how I should repair the leaking joint while retaining the same downpipe and cat converter? The cat is still in good shape, the tubes are still intact.

thanks.

Reply to
tonyw

Apply some exhaust sealant and refit.

SFC

"tonyw" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g22g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

a lot of noise.

UPDATE. My regular supplier of parts (VM Autohaus) had a split flange for just this repair. The flange on the cat converter was in good shape and barely corroded. The flange on the downpipe was just stamped-formed heavy sheetmetal and badly corroded. This flange was slid onto the pipe before the end of the pipe was flared. I undid all 3 nuts and bolts on the joint, cut off the old flange on the downpipe side. Clamped on the new split flange and bolted everything back together. Nice and solid, no leaks. The metal gasket in the joint took care of any slight mis-alignment of the downpipe to the cat converter and provided a tight seal. I coated all the fasteners with anti-seize compound.

I checked, VW doesnt' use any springs in this joint like some manufacturers. There is no movement at this joint, it's a solid union. Any engine torque movement is transmitted down the exhaust system and movement is accommodated by the rubber hangers.

Reply to
tonyw