Peugeot 306 Steering Gaiter and ball joint

Hi all,

My car ('98 306 1.9TD estate) failed the MOT on NS Steering Gaiter split and OSF ball joint worn.

For the ball joint, I had already replaced it - but there is still too much play and it seems that the new ball joint shaft is very slightly smaller than the original. I know that two sizes are available .. but are they really that close?

I've no idea how to replace the steering rack gaiter as the PS pipe comes out on the outside of the gaiter - so it seems that the PS ram needs removing. How can this be done? I'll get a manual tomorrow but any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

According to Haynes the NS gaiter cannot be replaced on a power steering rack, other than main dealer. So, I guess that I need to buy a new rack .... seems a little excessive!

Reply to
marpate1