91 Fox Exhaust Bolts?

hi folks.. could anyone tell me the type of bolt (pitch, length, etc) which are used to connect the down pipe to the cat on a 91 Fox..(49 state)...

one of mine has rusted through, causing a gap in the seal...will be replacing all 3 bolts as the other two do not look to be in very good shape....

additionally, any advice on removing these bolts..they're really rusty and decayed.

thanks alot andy

Reply to
Andy Gingrich

I don't know about the Fox, but with every other car/cat/exhaust I've messed with (2nd generation Rx-7, 82 Rabbit, 95 Golf), I just go to the hardware store and buy stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers. They're usually standard rather than metric but always fit well enough, diameter-wise. However, I sometimes have to hacksaw and file the bolt shafts to shorten them when space is tight.

The best way to get the old bolts off if you can manage it is to break (twist) them off with visegrips. Sometimes you have to saw them off. However, give them the Liquid wrench treatment first. Heating with a propane torch may also help. Some folks use a Dremel tool, but I don't know anything about them. I think the pros use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin