A dream come true! My experience with the Phaeton

Got one of my dreams fullfilled today at the Toronto autoshow. I saw a roped off Phaeton, with the W12 engine sitting there, with a staff member there to answer questions... Well I asked him if I could check out the car, moreso then the rest of the crowd that is, who were gazing at it thru its open doors.... Actually it was not drawing the attention I think it deserves, it truely is magnificent.

I got to sit, front seat and rear seat in this thing. Much nicer then the Audi A8L... In every way (maybe not dynamic performance, but who throws those big ships around on a track anyways?? He let me play with the sound system, which BTW sounds gorgeous, at least at playing classical music (I mean, what else would they demo a Phaeton with?... suits it), as well as the myriad of seat controls.... Power EVERYTHING, there were options for the power seat that I wouldn't think you would need, but when I got in my Golf, it felt so... inadequate. The car was utterly fantastic, I was thinking I might get let down, by the car not playing up to my expectations.... But I can honestly say i'd buy it for the $130K Canadian he quoted me.... I wonder what my insurance would be...?

That is of course.... if I had $130... some day (dream #2, become rich)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

They are absoloutly amazing to drive. The W12 is a simply breathtaking engine. Gobs of power and a ton of torque....The seats are incredible...I love the Phaeton....

Too bad I can't do a straight trade for my Jetta...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Pete,

Isn't your Jetta gett>

Reply to
Randolph

"Pete Cressman" wrote in news:__fYb.7481$kaP1.4316 @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

breathtaking

I just saw one at the dealer this a.m. I took my gti in for repair and said "Give me the Phaeton as a loaner. He grinned and took me by the elbow out to a Jetta station wagon.

[sigh]

Andy

Reply to
Bingo

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, only certain dealers are allowed to sell them. To become a "Phaeton Dealer", it requires an initial investment of about $300,000, not to mention you need 2 technicians trained on the vehicle, and you need to have 1 Phaeton as a loaner, ready at all times...and on the sale of the car, you only make $4000 if you are lucky...many dealers in the K-W/Guelph/Cambridge/GTA area haven't opted into the program because the investment is to great for such a minimal return. Not only that, but consider that VW is new to this game. Nobody with $100,000 to spend on a car is going to spend it on a vehicle with a VW nameplate...I know I would look to a much more established marque, such as Audi, M-B, or BMW, who all have a proven track record in the luxury car market...

The Phaeton will proove to be an expensive lesson in marketing for Volkswagen....

- Pete

incredible...I

Reply to
Pete Cressman

So $130K Canadian, that's like $35K American right?

Reply to
Bob F.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Todays exchange rate was 76.31 cents US on a dollar Canadian, so the car would be $99203 USD.

.... why do Americans have to bash the Canadian dollar?, it climbed up over

10 cents (used to be worth like 63 cents not too long ago) in something like a year. It's not some pathetic currency, and it lets you Americans buy some things cheaper if you get it here, so quit making fun of our money, or stop exploiting it by buying stuff here cheaper..... When America runs out of water we'll see who's laughing tho... ;-).
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Most of the joshing seems to stem from my friends North Of the Border, er wait that the US, uh oh- in the Great Whit North. Yeah.

Don't sweat it too much.

On Topic: I look at these cars as great parts resources down the line. ;])

TBerk

Well, now that you've admitted that it annoys you, we'll *NEVER* stop! BWWWWWWWAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAH! ;-P

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You got a lot closer to the Phaeton than I did...I only saw one on the road

6-8 months ago passing me going the opposite direction... I almost wanted to turn around and follow it, maybe I should have, I don't know that my local dealer will sell them... but then again, they do sell a lot of BMW's and umm... i don't know what else they sell, i guess Porsche, but i dont see that many and they stopped selling Audi's :-/

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Rob Guenther