91 Golf GL, bad stutter/hesitation after initial startup

Hi, I have a 91 Golf GL with 130K miles with manual trans. The car has been having this problem since I bought it about a year ago.

-I start the engine cold and begin to accelerate

-The engine suddenly stops ending the acceleration

-Then the engine continues accelerating immediately afterwards like normal This problem only occurs after a cold start

--It feels like I stomp on the brakes seconds after acceleration, then release

I have found that if I rev the engine and go extra slow on the clutch I can avoid this problem.

Since buying the car a year ago, i have changed the air filter, o2 sensor, fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel injectors.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

-Thanks in advance,

-matt

Reply to
mini chifa

"mini chifa" wrote

I believe, correct me if I am wroing you are suddenly losing power after cold and the car is bucking for lack of power. I believe you mean "continues accelerating" as then it runs normal. I believe what is happening is, being DigifantII the engine goes from a cold mode to it's normal run mode. This could also happen when the oxygen sensor kicks in for a signal to the Digiifan onboard processor for the normal run mode. I had a Digifant that ran worst than this that cold started perfect but within a minute of less suddenly ran in a very rich mode. I put in a new oxygen sensor and it fixed it. (bought a generic). I would also look at the temperature sensor. If you have multimeter you can test it by putting it in water and heating it and checking the Ohms. It very well could be the temperature sensor faulty.

Harry

Reply to
Harry