1996 Golf hesitation

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Golf, and I am having an issue with it when I accelerate from rest. When I push down the gas, the car dosn?t do anything and then 3 sec. later it lurches forward, screeches tires and drives away normally. I don?t know to much about cars so I?m not sure if this is a big deal or anything. Any idea whats causing this or how to correct it? Thanks

Reply to
stve

Does it have a rough idle or uneven idle rpm? Watch the tachometer while idle, is it smoothly resting at 800 rpm or whatever or is the needle jumping around?

Do you see the 'check engine' warning light come on?

Reply to
Jem Berkes

uhhhh does it have an automatic transmission?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If the transmission is an automatic, it could be something as simple as low transmission fluid or as complicated as...well... something complicated. Take it to a shop and have em look at it. If it's low on fluid it will cause more expensive problems down the road if you don't take care of it. You might just have a leak that needs to be taken care of, pronto.

Reply to
starburst