'95 Golf GL - door locks

In my new-to-me '95 Golf III GL (has '96 styling... sold in Canada), the automatic door locks are somewhat unreliable. All of the locks are supposed to lock/unlock together when you (un)lock one of the front doors (it's a four-door). Instead, some of them go and some of them don't. Simultaneously, I hear a loud pumping noise from what I assume is a pneumatic pump located on the right side in the rear, right next to the hatch.

I haven't gotten ahold of the Bentley manual for this car yet, so I'm not quite sure how to diagnose it. I assume that either that pump is bad, or there is a leak in some pneumatic tubing. Any ideas of common failures? I have another '96 Golf from which I can canibalize anything I want.

thanks, Tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

leaks............ follow the hissing at the locks that are not functioning.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Mine will sometimes hang up like that (no leaks). Yes, definately check for leaks, but lube the lock mechanisms too with spray silicone or something else that won't attract lots of dirt. Maybe sure the 'button' near the window isn't hanging up on that trim piece at the top of the door panel (happened on mine).

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

most likely the hoses within the door jam boots.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I think the thing in the back on the right would be the fuel filler door lock. Maybe that is where the leak is.

Reply to
Tom's VR6