'95 cabrio cam position sensor problem

I've got a '95 VW Cabrio, with the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine, with 86k miles on it. I've only owned it for about a year, but I've confirmed that the timing belt was replaced by the previous owner at 79k.

Lately it has begun occasionally flashing the 'check engine' light, and also occasionally hesitating for a few seconds when I step on the throttle. I took it to a garage who said that the codes recorded were 00515 (cam position sensor) and 00513 (engine speed sensor). They cleared those codes and drove it more, and got 00515 to recur.

They think the right thing to do is replace the distributor, and they want about $500 (including taxes etc.) to do the work - $336 for the part, $100 for the labor.

  1. Does this seem like the right approach?

  1. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Reply to
Walter Harley

I can't tell you if the diagnosis is correct, but a new Bosch distributor for your car can be had for $145.95.

Kent

First like Woodchuck told me, check the timing belt to make sure it has the proper tension and is installed correctly. If the belt flops around it could cause the timing to change and throw a DTC.

Then follow Kent's advice and purchase a NEW distributor at less than dealer's prices! That is IF you need to replace the distributor.

I personally like to check EVERYTHING that might be causing the problem before I just start throwing parts at a vehicle! ;-)

dave

$100 labor to do a 30 minute repair? We charge $36 to replace the distributor and that's a dealer price. Check Dave's post to check the t-belt and all timing marks and if everything lines up it's time to replace the distributor. But be warned you may have wiring problems between the ECU & distributor, but unlikely

Reply to
Woodchuck

You know you've really got to screw them on for best results. Unless your aim's really, really good, I guess.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Only when you know what you are doing can you have a really good aim! ;-)

dave