95 Jetta Waterleak

I have a 95 Jetta. It accumulates rain water behind the driver's seat. I'm guessing that this may be due to a plugged up drain for the sunroof. What's the best way to clean it out?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Get a speedometer cable core and gently run it down the drain. Don't use too much force or compresses air since you supposedly can knock the drain hoses off their fittings.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS (finally totaled by a Fiesta - but it destroyed the Ford!)

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the suggestion! I have some old brake cable from a bicycle. That will probably work as well. I'll crimp a ferrule on the end so it's less likely to snag inside the tubing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the suggestion! I have some old brake cable from a bicycle. Do you think that would also work? I can crimp a ferrule on the end so it's less likely to snag inside the tubing. I was also thinking of trying to gently push some water through the tubing with a syringe. Do you think that would work or is it likely to disconnect the tubing from the fittings?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave, The brake cable might work, but you'd have to resolve the issue of it potentially snagging. Shrink tube on the end might work better, the adhesive type would work well. Allow a bit of overlap on the shrink tube at the end so it doesn't push up, and make it long enough so it won't pull off (especially if you don't use adhesive type tube.)

I would not recommend the syringe, it is likely to cause the same problems that compressed air would, that is blow off the line.

Reply to
PeterD

The sunroof drains are now clear. Thanks for the assistance. I did not have a piece of cable that was long enough, so I ran an 8' section of fishtank air tubing through the drains (the O.D. was small enough to be accommodated within the I.D. of the drains). I also cleaned out the drain nozzles with 2.5" section of a small wooden skewer. A test pour of water through the drains shows that they now flow freely.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Too late for you, but also a piece of weed-whacker line can be used to push the lines clear, too...

Reply to
PeterD

That might be too big. I have successfully used 14 AWG THHN in the past. Or you could solder the end of your brake cable the way old schoolers used to do it prior to crimp caps.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel