Seek advice on 96 Altima Oil Light

I was hoping someone could give some advice on a problem that just came up in my 96 Altima with 146,000 miles.

About a wekk ago the Check Engine light came on. I don't get paid until the end of this week and the car seemd to be running fine, so I figured it was an oxygen sensor or something and I would get it fixed at the end of the next week. Then Thursday night on my way home I was going ~65mph when my oil light started to flicker. I went about a 1/4 mile to the next exit and got off. I pulled into a parking lot and cut the engine. The entire time until I cut off the ignition the oil light flickered. The engine speed did not appear to have any effect on it. It just randomly flicked on and off for

2-20 seconds.

I got out, checked my oil, (which was right on the mark) and tried to see if I could see the connection to the sensor, but I couldn't. I got back in and cranked the car to see if the light returned, it did not. Fealing bold I risked driving the car home (~3 miles) and the light did not come on at all. I have driven the car ~20 miles around the country near my house since and the light has not come back on. I have not had it at highway speeds since last Thursday.

I have three questions:

  1. Can anyone tell me where the pressure sensor is on this car? I would like to replce this before I go and spend a WHOLE lot of money.

  1. Does this sound like a sensor or a oil pump issue? Or is there no way to even guess form the info provided? Can a mechanic test the oil pressure to tell for sure if the pump is bad?

  2. Is it worth fixing this car? From what I read, replacing the oil pump on this car requires taking the head off and costs over 00. Is it worth spending this much money on this car? ...Which may be a moot point in my case... :-(
Reply to
HappyGuy

It's not the pump. It's either the sensor or the engine is sludged up and the pickup screen is plugging up which is my guess. Look under the valve cover and if it's really nasty, you found the problem.

Again it's not the pump, never seen a nissan oil pump fail on any of their cars ever.. If it's sludged up, it's probably been neglected and might not be worth cleaning everything up. You'll have to pull the pan and clean under the valve cover, wash all the goop out etc. It's a real mess to do it where it will stay clean!

Reply to
Steve T