Question for woodchuck

Hi Woodchuck,

On an earlier post I asked: Could I screww up the security setting on the sound

system?

And you replied: Not likly, other than you may have to enter the code. Most from late 99 on got the code from your instrument cluster

Could you please tell where/how I retrieve this code. No card is written on the "radio card" in my manual, so I assume this is how I need to get the code. Car is a 2000 Passat GLX with Monsoon sound system

Many thanks!!!

Cheers, Brian.

Reply to
CasualBloke

Try driving to the dealer with your VIN number written on a piece of paper (to save you and the service desk guy the hastle of walking back outside to get it) and get them to pull up the code for your car.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If your car still has the orignal radio that was installed when ou purchased the Passat then all is needed is to start the car and wait 5 minutes. When you turn the radio on it should work. I'm told the instrument cluster & radio "talk" to each other and if the ID numbers are the same the radio then works. As to know what the code is you must find that from the dealer. If it doesn't work then e-mail me.... may be able to help.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks guys.

Yes, you were right Woodchuck (of course!). I should have waited. When I first turned on the sound system after reconnecting the battery it showed "safe" and then the code "1000". At that point I turned it off assuming that it needed a code. My wife drove the car later in the day and stated that the radio worked fine. At that point I assumed that it had done exactly what you suggested, Woodchuck, i.e. "read" the code itself.

Cheers, Brian.

Reply to
CasualBloke