Installing Exhaust Clamp

Hi,

I've heard there is a "wrong" way to install an exhaust clamp, therefore am concerned about the fact that the exhaust clamp on my car has rusted off and needs to be replaced.

It's the clamp just in front of the cat converter. There is an indentation already there, in the overlapping pipes, from the old clamp. Should I just put the new clamp where the old clamp was, in the indentation, and tighten her up until snug ?

Does it matter if I do it warm or cold ?

I think it is a 2 and 1/4 inch diameter pipe. The car is an 85 Chevy Caprice.

I know its not rocket science, but I heard there was a "wrong" way, so am asking.

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

If it's a standard clamp, I'd be tempted to spend the couple extra bucks for stainless so you don't ever have to do it again. And use anti-seize.

Not sure about "right" and "wrong" but I like to install them with the saddle up if there's enough room for increased ground clearance. Also on new installs tack weld the pipes together after everything is where it's supposed to be.

nate

Reply to
N8N

N8N wrote in news:1192219830.321068.123620 @k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

I wouldn`t bother replacing it at all. By now it is rusted solid. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

No, it (the clamp) is dangling loose. The c shaped part came out totally, and the rest of the clamp is just hanging, but still together. Exhaust is coming out of the space between the pipes.

Reply to
Caprice85

Caprice85 wrote in news:1192294973.141660.250740 @v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

If you have ex leaking out you probly will find more wrong than you think when you try to just put a clamp on it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff