97 Cabrio Ignition Switch

Need advice on how to replace the ignition switch on my daughter's 97 VW Cabrio. I have been reading posts on various web sites about it being easier to pull the entire steering column to get at the switch rather than use the "special" puller to pull the switch assembly off the steering column but I'm not sure if the easier method works for the 97 VW or just pre 96 models. Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
Ron Rathburn

In answer to my own question..... I pulled the entire steering column in about 10 minutes and was able to access and change the ignition switch without problem however I did have some difficulty reconnecting the spline on the end of the column to the U-Joint. I had to have someone push in on the steering wheel/column and while I lined everything up and made the connection. Very tight quarters to work with only your right hand and i'm left handed :( but it finally went back together.

Reply to
Ron Rathburn