intermittant starting in 96 cabrio?

How is the ignition setup on a cabrio? Every so often turning the key will not start it. It sometimes takes turning the wheel a bit or pressing way down on the clutch. At which point it seems like something 'flexes' enough and it starts. Before I go pulling apart the steering column, what things should I be looking at? This is a 2.0L 1996 Cabrio with manual transmission.

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Do you mean the engine or starter does not crank over? IOWs you turn the ign switch over to the crank position, no sound from or nothing happens with the engine?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The starter doesn't get cranked. It's apparent something in the ignition circuit isn't getting a completed connection. When the starter does crank the engine fires properly. The problem is getting the turning of the key to properly complete the circuit. The key turns properly and the lock cylinder is moving smoothly. In having looked at some other cars over the years I've noticed various methods for converting the rotary motion of a key turning into an action for closing the starting circuit. Some cars have used levers, gears, arms and assorted means to 'move something'.

So my question is, before I go ripping apart the steering column, how does the Cabrio accomplish this? Am I looking for something "down the column" that's activated by an arm? Or is the whole business accomplished up at the lock cylinder itself?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Just pull the shells off the column behind the steering wheel. IIRC it's two screws under neath. Had the dealer replace the ignition switch not long ago with identical symptoms. Wasn't really bad $$ wise, so it can't be that difficult to do. Worst case is you might have to drop the knee panel of the dash, and that's about 4 more screws.

If you're gonna guess, the switch is a very good one. But if you want to verify it with a meter or something, go get a service manual for the schematics, etc. The Bentley is the one most recommended here, but any are better than none.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

It was the switch. There are two ways to replace it. One is to pull the steering wheel, airbag and the lock bracket. The other is to pull the whole column. Do the latter. Loosen the nut at the bottom of the column and the single screw up under the lock bracket. Then disconnect all the wires and the whole thing will pull right out. There's JUST BARELY enough room to get a philips head screwdriver in between the column and the back of the lock cylinder. Remove that screw and the whole electric switch assembly will come out. Reverse the process and you're done!

Now it starts perfectly.

Next up, gear shift that fight really hard getting into first...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

congrats to you I have not tried that method of replacing the ign switch. hmmmm maybe next time.

thanks for the update & repair procedure info

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1