'97 Jetta TDI - replace H20 pump along with timing belt?

Howdy,

The motor of my '97 Jetta TDI will have 80,000 miles very soon. I change the belt and tensioner every 40k miles (after getting a new engine at 50k

100% covered under the warantee, so the car actually has ~130k).

Here is the question. If I have the work done,

  1. Is it no extra labor charge to change the water pump?

  1. Should I do it this time or wait ~2 years until I have another 40k miles on it?

  2. Those of you who have run water pumps until they die, how long should I expect? For what it's worth, I am gritting my teeth and following the manual's advice to not change the coolant ever.

  1. If GM water pumps at Pep Boys are like , what will I pay for a good one?

regards, Keith Loyd

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd
1-No, the H2O pump is extra work. 2-Wouldn't be great if we could predict when it would fail? 3-Call your dealer.
Reply to
Woodchuck

My two cents...

I would wait on the water pump if it is not weaping from the hole or making noise.

Bad move. Change the coolant every 2 years is a good idea.

I changed my water pump at 130000 miles and the new one was made in Germany and defective. I had it replaced for free but putting it on the second time seemed to go faster. I would say around $40 or so dollars.

Reply to
Peter Parker

it, you have to rip the whole thing apart again, including remove the belt, and B) I believe that the T-belt drives the pump. murphy's law says the pump will probably blow within 6 months of changing the belt, and if it seizes, the pump takes out the belt, and with it being an interference engine, the whole valve train is trashed. IMHO, it is worth it to change the pump at the same time, especially if the pump is cheap

uboo

Reply to
uboo

Your a bit confused on doing this repair. Here in the USA(for 97 TDI) the water pump doesn't run off the t-belt but from a V-belt off the crankshaft. You should do more research before suggesting something. Like I originally said replacing the water pump requires more time on this engine than if one was only replacing the t-belt. But if you do it along with the t-belt then the additional time should be under 2 hours more.

) when you do have to do

Reply to
Woodchuck

You can get a pump with the housing for under $50 on the net. It always seems better to spend the extra $15 for the housing as the bolts tend to seize in it.

Reply to
Dave