Re: A2 Jetta not starting. timing belt frozen??

Hello,

About to junk my Jetta. Thanks for everyone who said check the timing belt. When I checked it I noticed it lost quite a bit of teeth. When I crank the belt nor any of the pulleys move. But heres something else, When I put the car in drive or 1st or 2nd (its an auto by the way) it never engages the gears and stays in neutral. Only "park" seems to do anything. Does this sound like even a bigger problem?

Its a 92 Jetta 8v. Only 87k miles...LOL.

Reply to
jim

From what I have read that engine is not an interference motor. So, even if you were driving and the timing belt broke, the engine should be fine.

Be sure to replace the tensioner at the same time.

Lots of folks replace the water pump also.

Paul

89 Jetta
Reply to
Simplstupd

When the engine is not running, the transmission is not pumping fluid. Therefore the transmission only has several "neutrals" and one park - which is a mechanical action, not a hydraulic one.

Tim

Tim snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMswbell.net (remove NOSPAM to reply)

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply to
Tim Z

your belt is what - 10 bucks from Impex...

Junk the Jetta. The salvage yard needs to hit a grand slam once in a while; perhaps some lucky slob like me will get another 50-80k miles out of it.

Reply to
AH