97 Passat Instrument cluster

I have a 97 Passat VR6. Its recent electrical complaints are legion, but I wonder if anyone might suggest what I should start replacing.

Symptom 1: Arbitrary/intermittent failure to crank. Ignition was there, but nothing - not even a click - when key turrned to start. I am all set to replace the switch, but then

Symptom 2: Instrument Cluster went crazy: Gauges did not "zero" themselves when ignition is turned off; when ignition is next turned on, there is a rattling sound (I imagine it to be the sound of a relay vibrating somewhere) and the needles then drop to zero. Upon cranking everything registers properly. And now, probably unrelated, but

Symptom 3: Central/power locking no longer functions.

Is there one lump of silicone chips that would possibly affect all these?

Reply to
M McEwen