98 jetta clutch

my clutch peddle is on the floor. The cable is fine, I followed the cable to this arm and I can move the arm up and down. When I do this the peddle goes back to the up postion. After reading some of the other posts i decided to take off the green end cap. The spring and everything else looks fine. Behind the green end cap there is a metal lever, this lever moves up and down when I pull on the cable. There is a piston or cylinder that looks like it is supposed to move this lever up and down. This piston is stuck in the down postion. My question is what is this piston or cylinder called, and how do I replace it?

Thanks

Reply to
tbone

I cant get the description.... but let me try and help.

The round bar you see has a small finger on it. The finger breaks and slips.

If the lever/finger moves with the round bar, it will push on a round 'piston'-like device, that should move in and out, left to right, not up and down. Thats the release bearing. It pushes on another round bar which pushes the clutch itself...

what you should see looking into the green cap:

Reply to
Eduardo K.

After further inspection my throw out bearing/release bearing looks to be stuck in, or to the left. I dont think my finger like lever is broken, because when I pull up on the arm that is on the tranny I can hear the finger hitting the top of the release bearing. Is my release bearing broke? What or how does the release bearing return back to the out or the right postion?

Reply to
tbone

Take the lever and the finger out. Trust me. I WILL be broken :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.