A3 Jetta 2.0L: Clutch Problem

Car: 1998 VW Jetta K2 2.0L, 5spd, 120,000km

Hello,

So last night something happenned to the clutch mechanism of my car. I was driving, I pushed on the clutch pedal down, and it never came back up. I can bring the pedal back up (with my hands), and it stays up, but when pushed down, it doesn't come back up. Needless to say, the car is not driveable (gear is always engaged)

Looking under the hood, I can see the cable going inside the transmission housing and, from this perspective, everything looks fine (ie: the cable moves up/down in accordance to clutch pedal position).

Any advice as to what could be the problem, what should I look for, high-level diagnostics steps to follow?

Thanks.. RVM

Reply to
RVM

There is something called a return spring or off centre spring.....I have seen it fail in the past and cause a symptom that is similar to what you are describing.

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Check the arm under the green endcap on the trans as they would crack and slip.

Reply to
Woodchuck

This sounds just what happened to my son's 98 Jetta a couplde of months ago. He had the pedal drop to the floor board and it would not spring back up.... I could pull it up by hand just as you described. Turned out to be in the lever rod that the cable is attached to. at the end of the clucht housing where the cable attaches you'll see a green cap about 2-1/2" diaamiter I think. Pull that cab and you'll see a lever attached to the rod that the cable activates. the lever has a hole with teeth to grip the rod. The lever is probally cracked and slipping. You can get a new one for about 20.00 dollars. Its fairly simple to replace. Just make sure you getthe lever in the right position to give you enough play to disengae your clutch. Hope this is it and it helps

Reply to
Lawrence

Hello,

Thanks to all that replied. You guys had it right - Looked under the cap and found the problem.

Much appreciated!

Regards, RVM

transmission

Reply to