98 Jetta TDI, observed cooling fan oddity.

So, I was changing my coolant and I always poke at all the cooling system components when I do this. Well, I guess my previous pokes were not that thorough, or I figured the age of the car has reached the point where I figured that the cooling fans could succumb to seizure due to corrosion or whatever. The net result was that I gave the primary fan a spin with my finger, it moved readily, but, I observed that the secondary fan also turned when I turned the primary fan, at exactly the same rate. I haven't cracked the manual yet and don't really know much about the fan control system, but I find that behaviour somewhat interesting. Comments?

--Steve

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "

-Terry Pratchett

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

A belt connection, perhaps?

Reply to
CSS

There's a belt between the fans so they both should turn at the same time.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yeah, got in there with a flashlight. It's not easy to see, particularly if you aren't expecting it. How bizzare. What's the service interval for that?

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

When it breaks!