98 Jetta TDI / Rear brakes hum?

My 98 Jetta TDI rear brakes started humming this summer. It's really annoying. The shop says nothing is wrong but that still doesn't make it less annoying.

Can anyone offer a solution to make them quiet again?

The problem started a couple of weeks after the brake fluid was replaced on routine maintenance (maybe a coincidence, I don't know). The brakes always hum on the first few applications of the brake and then are quiet until after the car sits for a long time (usually overnight). I had the rear wheel bearings repacked on routine maintenance but it had no effect. It seems slightly worse in cold weather but doesn't seem linked to wet weather.

I live in Portland OR. The brakes are original with 50% left. The car has 65000 miles.

Any ideas?

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

Rob Guenther

My rear brakes got noisy after about 50K mi. and it tended to be affected by moisture, i.e: inland weather besides rain was OK but seaside weather yielded some amount of noise all the time. Changed shoes and turned drums at 110K, still makes some noise.

--TW 1998 Jetta TDI

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Unless the brakes are dragging, I wouldn't think that they're the source of the problem. Perhaps you bad wheel bearings repacked!?

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
Komang

(I'm the OP.) Wouldn't you know it? The brake hum mysteriously stopped a few days ago. I did absolutely nothing! The weather has been much the same for the past 2 weeks too.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth