98 Jetta TDI..Rear oil gasket......

I have been told that the rear main oil seal/gasket is leaking. I was quoted $800.00 to have the job done but then I was told since the clutch needs to be taken out to get to it, I might as well put in a new clutch which brought the price up to $1500.00 I was told it is a vey labor intensive job. Any input from anyone who may have had the same problem? Am I being scammed what should I do?

Reply to
AlanH70
900 more for a clutch, better find another place. Even the 800 sounds high.
Reply to
Woodchuck

Is it leaking oil? How many miles on the clutch that is in it, and how much longer do you plan to keep the car?

Reply to
Biz

It would have to be a pretty bad leak for my to pay 800 bucks to fix it. I am guessing you got this quote from the dealership. "Might as well replace the clutch while we are in there"... but they are charging you as if they weren't already in there, so it isn't saving you a dime (just saving them). They are taking the old one out, but does it cost an additional $700 to put a new one back in instead of the old one? They laugh about this as they make another boat payment.

I'd get a second opinion. Not at a dealership. If the leak isn't bad, I'd wait until the clutch really does need replacing and have the seal replaced while they have it apart. Surely you could find someone to do this job for less that $800 altogether.

RB

Reply to
greenfoot

It sounds like they are adding some 3M super microabrasives to the = Vaseline on you... recommend second and third opinion.

--TW Ow.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie