99,5 Jetta needs new Cat

For a while now I've been enjoying an annoying rattle from my catalytic converter every time I drive. Recently, the rattling has gotten more pronounced and the Check Engine light is coming on periodically. Presumably the cat. has had it for good.

Does anyone know where I can get a bolt-on, plug n' play replacement besides a dealership and what kind of price range we're talking about here? I expect the dealer price will be $$$.

Is the down-tube from the manifold connection a standard diameter? Could I use a generic? Do they make generics with an O2 sensor hole?

Could this premature failure be related to the failed MAF sensor I had to replace last year? (Driving with the failed MAF produced emissions that destroyed the cat?)

Thanks... ...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

How many miles? And are you the first owner? Have you checked the owners book for possibly being under warranty? If it's on you do a google search. I found a direct fit cat for my 93 Eurovan for $126. Ready to bolt on, just needed dealer gaskets.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo
8year/80,000mile warranty from VW. You could ask the dealer if the price was for an exchange/rebuilt cat.
Reply to
Woodchuck

53k

Yes.

I thought exhaust components were a "wear and tear" item and thus excluded...

Hmmm... I'll check.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

||In article , Jo Bo wrote: ||> How many miles? || ||53k || ||> And are you the first owner? || ||Yes. || ||> Have you checked the owners book for possibly being under warranty? || ||I thought exhaust components were a "wear and tear" item and thus excluded...

Emissions items have longer warranty, specified by federal law. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B