1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Check Engine Light, What could be wrong?

I have a 99 VW Jetta GLS 2.0. I have been good about oil changes and tune ups, but haven't had a tune up in about 23,000 miles, I have

58,000 on it now. I was planning on getting one soon any way. Last week the check engine light came one. Does anyone know what symptoms make this light go on? Is it set to go on at any particular mileage increment which would require it to be turned off by a VW tech? I hear no weird sounds, no over heating. I have to drive for a few more days to and from work before I can take it in, just how dangerous is this?

Has anyone figured out how to get better radio reception yet on these cars?

One of the springs from the seat raising/lowering lever under the driver's seat fell out awhile back, I've noticed a few other people putting this problem out there. Is it easy to fix without removing the seat?

Appreciate any advice you can share,

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Feehan

It could be many things, but most cars have a computers that keeps track of problems and stores information about what may be wrong. The first step is to have the computer scanned to see if there are any error codes. Some autopart stores will do this for free; try Autozone.

Just because your engine seems to be running fine does not mean something is not working right that could cause more expensive repairs if you don't do something now. Many times it is nothing more than a loose gas cap, other times you might be destroying your catalytic converter or something else.

It is really foolish to ignore it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The ECU keeps track of roughly 100+ conditions that could turn on the MIL. Must know the fault to be helpful.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What could be wrong... failed gas cap, poor fuel used, clogged up snow screen, failed MAF sensor, rat/mouse chewed on wiring harness, ect ect ect. The MIL on could range from the very minor to the very major, it is a super generic warning that is only telling you "something isn't right".

Better radio reception... drive closer to radio stations or get a better radio. Sorry I can't give you a real answer there.

As for the spring that fell out, toss it in the trash, you'll never know the difference. It helps with the hight adjustment lever. You can't refit it, there is a small post that one end of the spring is hooked to, said post is no more my friend and the whole lower seat frame would have to be replaced. If the car is out of warrenty, I'd forget about it.

Later.

Pencilneck blah blah blah WinVN is killing me.

Reply to
Pencilneck