99 Jetta flashing Glow Plug (again)

OK, for the 2nd time in a year, my damn glow plug is flashing again. No brake lights when It is flashing too. Last time I replaced the Brake switch and It is already bad again. So what is the deal? Is there something else I can replace this time so I don't have to screw with it again?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith
2nd time in a year, you doin' good! If you got no brake lights then check the fuses, if OK then replace the switch with a purple one.
Reply to
Woodchuck

It is on its second purple one now :-(

No brake lights while flashing. When it stops flashing brake lights work again.

So, I take it there is no real 'fix' for it, eh? Just like the damn windows I never roll down :-)

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

It's very odd that there would be 2 bad switches. I have never had to replace the purple switch yet. Eh, I take it you are from the Great White North, if so is it still covered by parts warranty?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Nope, I am in Florida but the car is a rescue from Pennsylvania. I wish the part was covered from VW but nope.

I bought the car about a year ago and had to replace the purple switch which was in there already with a new one. I need to find a deal on a

5 pack I guess and just keep them on hand.

I am not complaining too much about it but I have had minor issues with:

Brake lights

Windows falling into doors (once) got fixed by VW for free and hardly ever roll down the windows now

windshield washer not working twice, probably an easy fix again, currently broken

horrible AM radio reception, even with a new Sony radio, and a new factory antenna. The only thing not replaced is the cable which connects the radio to the antenna. If I knew that would fix it I would do it but at this point, we don't know.

Shifter broken which resulted in a $400 dealer repair (so far this has been the worst problem to date.)

I have 86K on the clock so I plan on keeping it for a while as we approach $3-$4 fuel prices.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

As for the radio don't waste your time replacing the ant unless you have a OEM radio. The VW has an internal amp that is powered by the VW OEM radio.

Reply to
Woodchuck

So do you know why I can't hear AM radio? I have a Sony MP3 player AM/FM/CD which replaced the factory radio. Should I use a differnt antenna or something?

Reply to
Mike Smith