A2 drivers door handle

The outside door handle of my A2 Jetta hardly activates the latch, meaning I have to yank the door open. The interior latch works fine. I recently replaced the exterior latch, and it worked somewhat better, but it still is not right. Any suggestions?

Reply to
marko66

It's just broken. Had the same problem with my '89 golf. Replace the handle, it's just two screws one behind the outer trim and one big one on the side of the door.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

I think he said he already did that.

Reply to
Matt B.

Lubrication of the latch and possibly an adjustment of the latch lever inside of the door. Bend it carefully to allow the handle trigger lever to unlatch it quicker. Also is the door shutting easily or it takes effort to latch it fully?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

OP here...

I took the door latch off, and it looks good. I can open the door by pressing down on the lever in the door. It just seems I need more. How do I "bend it carefully" ? Do I take the door panel off with the window up?

While I was in there, the door lock lever was all sorts of bent and broken. I bent what was left back to where it belongs, and the door will lock from the inside, but not from the driver's outside. Passenger outside is still fine, as is the funky vacuum pump that does the other doors.

Reply to
marko66

I have used some strong needle nose pliers to grab the latch lever and bend it up a little. A LITTLE so you don't break it. Some people have tried adding material to the door handle lever so that it touches the latch lever a little sooner.

You did lube it already right?

Are you sure you have the right door handle?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

So I took it all apart, and compared the new handle, with the old broken handle. The older one had a little more travel on it. I used some parts from that to fix the new handle, and all is well. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
marko66

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1