Start/Shift Problems with 2001 VW Golf GTI

I have a 2001 VW GTI Golf Automatic. This happens once every two weeks or so: I turn off the car, then come back to it and try to turn it on, and it struggles and wont ignite. Then after 3-4 tries, it will ignite but then the gears wont shift at all and the check engine sign is on. I have to drive in first gear for like a week before it somehow fixes itself and then drives perfectly normal. Anyone want to explain to me what is happening? don't tell me to go to a mechanic because i've done that a few times and they never know what the problem is.

Reply to
Macieksemik

go to better mechanic who knows VW's.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

What fault code(s) are present in your engine and transmission computers?

Reply to
Madesio

Neutral-safety switch problem probably...

Reply to
al

=P we went to a Polish guy and he checked out the VW fault codes and found the problem to be something with the cable. During driving the cable viabrates and losens the connection between the 2 wires which are both connected to eachother. They losen up and send a fault to the computer which tell the computer to keep the car in first gear so that the problem does not progress (a problem which does not exist). The fault problem being that there is different information on 2 different computer in the car (Engine and Transmission computer) about the RPM and temperatures in different parts of the car so the computer assumes that something totally must be screwed up and makes the car stay in first gear. So the guy secured the cable and that fixed the fault in the car. We still have to see if this is acually the exact problem because we're not too sure yet. But he's been more helpful then VW people. VW mechanics don't know crap about their own VW's. They couldn't fix anything and they charged us for it! While we got free service for a Polish friend and he fixed it and was very helpful.

Reply to
Macieksemik

Does he make good perogies?

Reply to