A2 Golf - cheapest Euro lights?

Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to get a Euro light conversion for an A2 Golf? Looks like I'll be inheriting an '86 (square sealed beam headlights) Golf and I've become spoiled by the Cibies in my 944. Must... have... light...

I can't use the Cibies (7" round sealed beam replacements) on the Golf, can I? They weren't cheap... but ISTR that the headlights for the round headlight Golf weren't sealed beams even though they looked like them...

Can I mount the aero style euro lights and grille on an '86 without swapping the rad support? Or do I have to swap no matter what I do?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sylvania makes (or used to make?) HID replacements for several sealed beam sizes. Check

click on "HID Headlights"in the menu at the left and scroll down to "All sealed beam sizes(X4656, X5006, X6024, & X 6054)"

Reply to
Randolph

you will need the euro style rad support as well, you'll also need to check wiring/fuses to make sure they can provide the extra juice to the euro light kit.

Check The Parts Place for a Euro kit....

Reply to
Biz

If you have the sealed beams, I'd just get a pair of 200mm Cibies from

and some good H4 Plus 50 high efficiency Osram bulbs and a wiring harness.

Not w/o it looking silly :)

Reply to
Matt B.

conversion for

Well I guess where I was going with that was, do the US-market "4-round" grilles use sealed beams for the outboard lights, or are they special reflectors using a H7 or something like the Euro versions?

Alternate question: are the rad supports for the "aero" lights the same as the early sealed beam cars? If I could just swap the lights and grille I'd be tempted to go that route instead.

Basically I commute on back roads, often after dark, so I need *some* kind of better lighting than stock, but I'm on a, um, limited budget (otherwise I wouldn't even be considering this, I'd just keep driving the 944 until the wheels fell off.)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

conversion for

Well I guess where I was going with that was, do the US-market "4-round" grilles use sealed beams for the outboard lights, or are they special reflectors using a H7 or something like the Euro versions?

Alternate question: are the rad supports for the "aero" lights the same as the early sealed beam cars? If I could just swap the lights and grille I'd be tempted to go that route instead.

Basically I commute on back roads, often after dark, so I need *some* kind of better lighting than stock, but I'm on a, um, limited budget (otherwise I wouldn't even be considering this, I'd just keep driving the 944 until the wheels fell off.)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

They used 7" round lamps that were mounted on frames just like the aero lamps. So even though they were 7" round, that's where the similarity to a sealed beam lamp ended. The rest of the construction and mounting were like the aero lamps. And like the Aero lamps they were 9004 bulbs for the US and H4 for Europe.

No. Each setup (sealed beam 200mm, aero-Jetta-style, and 7" round) had its own core support.

That's why I suggested the 200mm H4s. I still say some drop-in 200mm H4s with good bulbs are the way to go. Should be able to do that for about $130. An H4 relayed wiring harness would be great if you have the extra $40 or so for it too.

See

200mm Cibie lamps, $59 each w/o city light and $61 each w/city light (for the extra $2 each, get the city light version).

Bulbs (55/60 Osram silverstar +50 high efficiency) $17 each

Optional H4 wire harness kit $45

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.