A2 Projector headlamps

Greetz All,

I was wondering if anybody has purchased a set of these projector headlamps for A2s or A3s.

I'm considering getting a set, but don't want to drop that much money if they're not much better than the stock Hella's. I'm more interested in light output than looks.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

They might not be legal in the USA, but maybe that is of no concern to you if you live elsewhere! What bulbs are you running now in your standard headlights and are your headlights in excellent order?

dave

dave wrote: >

The headlight assemblies are not in good condition. That's why I've been looking around for some new ones. I took a rock in one last week and temporarily repaired it with some silicone to get me by. Not sure what bulbs are in there, it's whatever the PO put in. There not very good though.

One thing about my current ones. On the inside of the glass and on the reflector, there's a hard haze. Nothing seems to take it off except scratching it off. I've tried a bit a dish soap and distilled water, then a bit of JetDry to help prevent spots. It looks like it goes away while its wet, but when it dries, it's still there. Can't figure out how to get rid of it. That's why I started to look for new assemblies originally, but the rock made me start looking a bit harder.

I hadn't thought about them possibly not being legal. Not sure I'm too worried about that. With the lights on some of the newer cars these days, I don't think anybody would give them a second thought.

Ed

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

Well if you want new original type headlights, and almost anything will beat those old ones that are broken and hazy, then you can either purchase new Hellas (around $125 for one) or some inexpensive aftermarket ones at half the price of the Hellas. So if cost is a concern then the aftermarket ones might run you $130 for both. The aftermarket will have more plastic in it than the Hellas. I may even have some new ones laying around here somewhere. New ones are awfully bright and pretty! ;-)

I don't see spending $340 for some lights unless you really need or want them. These lights on that auction may even require heavy duty wiring and relays. I am not sure on that though but I like to get a good bang for my buck. ;-) I think Jettas throw out good lighting with the original headlights.

JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

You might try Rain-X. I have had some frosty looking plastic become less so with Rain-X applied with a Q-tip.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

If you're running US-spec lamps now, upgrading to Euro-spec lamps with good wiring and relays would probably be your best bet. On an A2, switching to a dual 7" Euro-spec setup from the DOT aeros (rectangular lamps) should be around $200 plus shipping; a quad-round setup, which is cosmetically similar to that offered on US 91-92 GTIs (but would provide better lighting with eurospec lamps opposed to the near-useless DOT lamps) is about $100 more, last I checked. Those are new prices; it's certainly possible to pick up used stuff cheaper (switching from aeros to round lights requires changing the radiator support and grille, which isn't hard, but does add to the cost a bit; unfortunately, e-code aero lamps tend to be more expensive than round lamps).

If you've got sealed-beam halogens rather than the 9004-based lamps most A2s have, you can probably get drop-in replacements that take H4 bulbs from

or
You will need to upgrade your wiring and add relays with any lighting upgrade; even if you wanted to stick with OEM-spec DOT lamps, installing new 12-gauge wiring and relays would probably provide better lighting output (both my A2s had a 1-2V drop between the alternator and the bulbs with OEM wiring; on my Jetta, I installed relays with the stock lamps and saw a noticable improvement, although the light distribution still stinks).

Check out

for more info on lightingtech.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

You can get the aero lamps for $200 plus shipping (same price that you noted for the 7" round but they'd be a bolt-in and wouldn't change the overall appearance). parts4vws.com has the aeros for $200.

True but not likely that he's got those. if he already tried to clean them as he said, they can't be the sealed ones.

In the strictest sense of the word, no...but I do agree it's really worthwhile no matter what lighting option you do.

Reply to
Matt B.