A2 Jeta 16v Not starting need help

Car sat for many months and battery was dead when I tried to start it, and would not hold a charge. Bought a new battery and installed it and could not get the car to start. I heard a buzzing in the fuse box when I turned the key. Fearing a short and possible damage, I stopped trying to start it. I did not disconnect the battery and now it is dead (not smart on my behalf). but anyway, I think there is a short somewhere, any ideas or suggestions on the best way to approach this woluld be greately appreciated.

Reply to
Aaron S

What exactly happened when you tried to start it with a fresh battery? Did it even turn over? Even a click from the starter? Just the buzz? Did anything funny happen with your instruments or anything else? What happens with a fresh battery when you turn on the ignition but don't try to start it?

I ran into some weird stuff when my A2 Golf wouldn't even crank last weekend, including the tach needle indicating 3000 and the radio turning itself on when I tried to start it. It ended up being being bad ground connections, so you might start by inspecting and cleaning up the battery and ground connections.

If that doesn't help, you can simplify your trouble-shooting by pulling all

*non-essential* fuses, such as for the radio, dash lights, etc. If this fixes it, then put them back in one at a time until you find your bad circuit.

Other than that, get a wiring diagram and a multi-meter and a good supply of patience.

Good luck,

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

Jason, Thanks for the ideas, I will definately try them. The instruments went nuts. The engine did not turn over, and the dash lights and radio freaked out too. The longer I tried to turn the key to turn it on, the louder and stronger the buzz in the Fuses box. The new battery has now died and I need to recharge it. I fortunately have another vehicle to drive, but would love to get this fixed. I cannot imagine that it is a major thing or too costly.

Thanks again, aaron

Reply to
Aaron S

|Jason, |Thanks for the ideas, I will definately try them. The instruments went |nuts. The engine did not turn over, and the dash lights and radio |freaked out too. The longer I tried to turn the key to turn it on, the |louder and stronger the buzz in the Fuses box. The new battery has now |died and I need to recharge it. I fortunately have another vehicle to |drive, but would love to get this fixed. I cannot imagine that it is a |major thing or too costly. | |Thanks again, aaron

There is a technique for finding a shorted circuit that involves an ordinary magnetic compass. You might do a google search and see if this is of use in your case. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B