Volvo S40: Rear Fog Lights?

I've just noticed that I only have a rear fog light on the drivers side.

On the passenger side there is no bulb and the opening for the bulb has never been snapped out??

Should there be a fog light at both sides at the rear?

Reply to
Macabre Tel Aviv

Steve Bernth

There has been a lot of discussion about this in this NG in the past. The perceived wisdom - or, at any rate, that subscribed to by Volvo - seems to be that one fog light is safer than two since it is less likely to be confused with stop lights.

My view is that this is cobblers - and that in foggy conditions, you need to maximise the chance of being seen by drivers coming up behind. My 1999 V70 was supplied with only one working foglamp - but the other one was there, complete with bulb. The only thing which prevented it from working was a deliberate discontinuity in the conductor in the lamp assembly - which was quite quickly remedied!

Regulations differ from country to country, so check before doing any re-engineering. In the UK, it is legal to have either one or two rear fog lamps - but if you have only one, it must be on the driver's side of the centre-line of the vehicle.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I never understood that mentality, if someone thinks your brake lights are on, they'll likely slow down and back off, rarely a bad idea, particularly in fog. If you actually *do* hit the brakes then the additional brake lights will come on and that will be readily apparent.

Reply to
James Sweet

No Rear fog is only one on the driver side

Reply to
Claudel

Were you answering the question "Should there be a fog light at both sides at the rear?"?

If so, there are two answers, depending on how you interpret the question.

  1. Did Volvo intend there to be two fog lamps? NO
  2. Does common sense dictate that there *should* be two fog lamps? YES
Reply to
Bonnet Lock

The argument in the USA is that two fog lamps would reduce the effectiveness of the brake-lights. One fog lamp alerts people behind that they are approaching a vehicle but does not give any clues as to the distance.

Volvo actually puts two fog lights on all the cars I have seen. In the USA market Volvo puts in a wiring harness that only goes to one of them or uses a lamp fixture that does not power up the second one. Usually the socket and power are there and a little creative wiring can get them working very quickly. I have done this on 850s and V70s.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Yes, I've heard the argument. I just don't accept it!

Precisely what I did on my (UK) 1999 V70.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

"The argument in the USA is that two fog lamps would reduce the

Yes, I've heard the argument. I just don't accept it!"

Oldsmobile has twin rear fog lamps on the big Aurora.... OLDSMOBILE! One of the original American car companies.

They are mounted in the rear bumper, below the main lighting clusters, but even so there are two.... And they're really bright.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

And lots of Aurora drivers use them when there is no fog.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

one fog light is better than two...imho...

less confusing, folks see something different and take notice.....one could "trigger" the wrong response by having two lights, and be mistaken for brakes... one solid, brighter than normal fog light is my vote......

Reply to
richbonilla

ping......ggggg......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

But the purpose of rear fog lamps is to help you realise that you are coming up behind another vehicle earlier than if it just had tail lights. Whether you see fog lights or brake lights really doesn't matter - the more the merrier!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

not "the more mrrier"...hells bells, it isnt supposed to look like a xmas tree presentation, one, bright light is adaquate "extra warning"...indicating something "is up"...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Yeah, unusual like one brake light being burned out, I don't see how this is any less confusing.

Reply to
James Sweet

In case you haven't heard, Olds and dinosaurs have something in common, they are both extinct.

Maybe you should say Olds had ...

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Not that it matters, Olds has been part of GM for many decades now, the original Oldsmobile company has been extinct since around WWII.

Reply to
James Sweet

His point is that GM is shutting down Olds forever

Reply to
Tom Scales

In 1895, Ransom Eli Olds and Frank Clark built their first self contained gasoline-powered carriage.

In 1897, the Olds Motor Vehicle Company was formed 8/21/1897.

In 1900, the name Oldsmobile adopted in a "Name the Car" contest.

In 1901, Olds Motor Works created the first assembly line.

Ford's claim to fame was that he added a moving conveyor to the assembly line. Olds just rolled the car to the next stage in the line.

In 1905, R. E. Olds forms the REO Motor Vehicle Co.

In 1908 Oldsmobile becomes part of General Motors Corporation. Oldsmobile was the second brand to become part of General Motors. Olds Motor Works, joined GM in November 1908, two months after Buick.

R. E. Olds retained REO and that company stopped making cars in 1936 but continued for some time as a truck manufacturer.

Olds was the first company to mass produce gasoline-powered automobiles, mass producing the Olds' Curved Dash automobile in 1901.

Oldsmobile was the first to use chrome decoration on its cars. In 1926, the shiny metal plating was used on Olds radiator shells.

Olds had the first cars with a fully automatic transmission, the Hydra-Matic, which debuted in 1940 models.

The Oldsmobile line became GMs vanguard, its coolest brand. Steel wheels, hydraulic brakes, independent front-wheel suspension, the first

4-door hardtop, Autronic Eye, air conditioning, four-barrel carburetors, front-wheel drive and even the first airbags were introduced by Oldsmobile.

Once GM began sharing components, and virtually entire cars, among different brands, Oldsmobile began to suffer from a loss of identity.

The last Olds, a Special Edition Alero, which bore special logos and certificates of authenticity, rolled off the assembly line at 10 AM Thursday, April 29, 2004, in Lansing, the same city where the brand was born over 106 years earlier.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

So, where did REO Speedwagon come in? 8^)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee