Always engage your parking brake fully...

I just got a knock on the door from a police officer who politely informed me that one of my Jetta's had hit the other.

Luckily I hit my own car, so after he told me, he said he'd be on his way.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

Hey bro. Someone is pulling a trick on you. I don't think your jetta would have moved 15" without some serious body damage and that little flare bump is nothing like that.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Peter Parker wrote: : In article , : Jedediah A Frey wrote: :>I just got a knock on the door from a police officer who politely :>informed me that one of my Jetta's had hit the other. :>

:>

:>Luckily I hit my own car, so after he told me, he said he'd be on his :>way.

: Hey bro. Someone is pulling a trick on you. I don't think your jetta : would have moved 15" without some serious body damage and that little : flare bump is nothing like that.

Yea, I agree... if you didn't have a lot of gas, a FWD car is pretty easy to pivot with a few guys lifting... to move a car 15 inches sideways would take a pretty good wack...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I used to work at a Large Home Improvement Warehouse, and every so often when making the rounds of the parking lot we would find a car, engine turned off, all doors locked, blocking the driving lanes at an awkward angle. We soon discovered that people who can't remember to put their car in gear or apply the parking brake, also are the type who are completely unaware that their license/vehicle description is being paged over the PA in hope that they'll come get their car out of the middle of the road... :-o

kelly

-+-

'86 Jetta GLI, 302K and counting

Reply to
Kelly Humphries

It's a fairly small apartment complex, and I don't know anyone here, nor have any friends in the area. The car was locked all around. One of those things I really wish I could have watched happen, so I'd know what really went on. Who knows.

I took some more pictures comparing left and right side.

Jedediah A Frey

There's no way that your car moved that far with a little bump. It would have to be lifted in order to have been moved. The friction from the tires and the mass of the car would preclude sliding. The metal would have been severely deformed.

750kg car, moving at 10-15 km/hr, bumping into an area of approx. 25 cm^2....you do the math

Just my opinion.....

Reply to
Devin Pantess

:> I just got a knock on the door from a police officer who politely :> informed me that one of my Jetta's had hit the other. :> :>

:> Luckily I hit my own car, so after he told me, he said he'd be on his :> way.

: There's no way that your car moved that far with a little bump. It would : have to be lifted in order to have been moved. The friction from the tires : and the mass of the car would preclude sliding. The metal would have been : severely deformed.

: 750kg car, moving at 10-15 km/hr, bumping into an area of approx. 25 : cm^2....you do the math

: Just my opinion.....

Yep, I agree... I believe it took either three or four of us when in college to pivot my friends Dodge Omni FWD car (similar to golf in style) from the back... the front is heavy, but the back, especially when there isn't a lot of gas is pretty light...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing