Glad I Had My TJ

Last Saturday I got a call from work and I need to come in and fix the fire alarm system. It had been raining here in Southern MD real hard. I took my TJ and just about a half mile from work the road was flooded. The police were turning everyone around the water was about 18 inches deep of just standing water. When I got up to the officer I told him that I was on recall and needed to get through. He smiled and waved me right through and he said if ya get stuck you are on your own, I dropped her in 4WD and went straight through. I got to the other side and the officer stopped me and said that was pretty impressive. I stated not for a Jeep it is normal SOP.

I repaired the fire alarm system and went back the road was still flooded and the officer asked me if he could ride across I said sure. Gave him a lift and it was like watching a kid on a Disney ride. He was so impressed that he said a Jeep may be in his future as a new POV. I told him that Jeeps are a very capable vehicle and they have their limits but, I haven't found it yet.

The officer knew where I worked and stopped by today in a brand new TJ Sahara with all the bells, whistles and 30" tires. We shot the breeze for awhile and I asked him if he would like to go to WV this week end and do some trail riding? He said that he may have to work but give me your number and I will let you know. Well he called just a little bit ago and he has off, so it is off to WV on Saturday.

Reply to
HarryS

And you needed four wheel drive, why? Sounds to me like all you needed was the clearance.

But anyway you converted another! Good for you!

Reply to
JimG

Why? because I can!

Reply to
HarryS

If you are doing a water crossing, you really should be in 4x4. Water can move you and lift so the wheels with the engine weight on them can be really handy to have under power.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey Harry,

Where in WV are you going?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

haha awesome!

Y'know, whenever I see on the news that this street or that was flooded and people in cars were stuck, and I see in the video taken that the water was only a couple feet deep or so, I find myself thinking how fun it would be to have been there and just drive on through like it was nothing ;-) Glad you got to do it! -- and congrats converting another! That cop sounds like a good guy! And it definitely doesn't hurt to have a cop for a jeepin' bud!

Reply to
Bob

Just outside Romney, I have an elbow relation that lets me visit and run the logging roads on his property. There are some real steep hills and a stream that we forge.

Reply to
HarryS

Yes, you are correct that is why I put it in 4WD, there was also a lot of greased owl snot silt on the road and it was a good 25 yds across. Come to find out all the drainage was clogged saw the County guys cleaning them out today.

Reply to
HarryS

Yes, I go to a local closed indoor shooting range where the local law enforcement, FBI, and DEA shoot. It is at a nuclear power plant, I go with a DEA buddy. Well, the short of it is one of the guys that works there has access to the power line trails so I get to do some off roading with him and his Rubicon. There is some real serious hills and valleys to navigate.

Reply to
HarryS

Cool. Just asking, I was in D.C last week and we made a side trip on the way home through Pocahontas CO at the Cass Scenic Railroad. I figure there is awesome 'wheeling around there, but don't know where exactly. Would like to make a 'wheeling trip to WV and bring the kids back to Cass.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Just let me know when you want to go to WV. JimG and I will be happy to take anyone from the RAMJW group. Several new trails have been developed near Beckley WV that will challenge the best rig!!! Just ran them a couple weeks ago at the Mountaineer Off-Road Children's Charity Event. Defiantly a FULL weekend of riding....and more if you choose.

Daren

Reply to
DMcMorris

Sounds great! Are those trails open year-round?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

sorry it's taken so long to get back...yes all year round. We can arrange a trip just about anytime.

Daren

Reply to
DMcMorris