Best way to restore oxidized bumper and trim? 92 GTi

Is there anything that succesfully removes the gray oxidation? Seems like that would be preferable to simply darkening it w/Black Magic, etc. TIA

Reply to
Dave

I use some white liquid stuff by Mothers (can't remember what they call it). I don't think the plastic turns grey from oxidation or because it fades; I think it is just grime built up. When you use the Mothers stuff, the rag looks dirty and the plastic looks new(er). It's the only stuff I have found that actually works.

Reply to
K5

Plastic fades because some chemicals evaporate (maybe this isn't the correct term, but close enough) due to UV light and age... I think the stuff you're rubbing in removes some surface "oxydization" or "grime" and restores the missing chemicals, but only at the surface level, which is probably why it fades after a few months.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A coat of satin or flat finish black enamel. Seriously. Tape the car off and spray it, or if you're good with a brush, go that route.

I once used Ditzler DP-90 epoxy primer with a brush (had to get rid of the last of it). But that stuff is two-part epoxy - read: nasty stuff, it will eat your lungs if used improperly. But the bumpers looked brand-new thenceforth, for several years before I sold the car off.

HTH

Ron

Reply to
Ron Pieper

||A coat of satin or flat finish black enamel. Seriously. Tape the car off ||and spray it, or if you're good with a brush, go that route.

Use a good flexible aerosol paint. They are made for exterior plastic. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

After a good cleaning, try using some Kiwi black leather shoe dye (not the polish, just the dye-only product).

Reply to
Roger Brown

From what I understand, the best product is something called Forever Black. It re-dyes the plastic. Interestingly, there's an A2 Jetta on the bottle lable. I bought some mailorder from Eastwood when I ordered something else. I haven't used it yet.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I use Black Magic and like it. It's not permanent, but it's far longer-lasting than Armor All. Usually lasts several months for a given coating before things start looking gray again.

Reply to
Matt B.

I have had excellent results with Kiwi Black shoe polish in the can, toothbrush, a pile of colths, and a LOT of elbow grease. Lasted 2 yrs and then was much easier to re-apply. Scott

Reply to
Scott

You can get Bumper black from any paint store its what most bodyshops use.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Most parts stores carry it also. You do need to clean the bumpers extremely well to get rid of any trace of silicone from prior treatments before painting. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B