Byebye A4...hello A2

How did you get one without power steering in 86? Are you in Europe? My 85 GTI has it, and I dont think it was offered without.

(normally not needed on a light

Reply to
Biz

85 GTI has it, and I dont think it was offered without.

Optional. My friend's '85 GTI also doesn't have P/S and it's a US-spec Westmoreland-made car.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Nope. I think it's (my friend's '85) better made insid than my '91 Puebla-made one. Mine's not *bad* but his seemed to rattle a little less.

His has also been hit twice in recent years and it still soldiers on unfazed. I forget how much he has on the clock but I think it's somewhere around 240-260K miles.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yah inside our Westmoreland was fine interior wise... no squeaks, but apparantly the parts were of worse quality for the mechanical stuff... But the dealer did have to re-align our hood or trunk or something, because the panel gaps weren't even - unacceptable on a German car, built in Germany at least.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Similar happened on my '91 Puebla-made GTI. The rear hatch was misaligned something awful with a HUGE gap on the left and very little on the right and it rattled. Had the dealer realign it.

Immensely! Early 80s US small cars (the Tempaz twins, Escorts, Chevettes, Cavaliers) were a step in the right direction, but they were still terrible as far as small cars go and A1s and especially A2s put them to shame. US-made A1s started looking pretty gaudy because the dash and interior colors were "americanized" compared to their German counterparts, but the A2s resembled their German cousins a lot closer in the interior appearance, thank god.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

middle of the driver and passenger side windows :-)... Don't see that too often anymore on the road, must have changed that style early.

1985-1987 Golfs/GTIs/Jettas has those mirrors. For 1988 and later they went to one-piece door windows and mounted the mirror at the corner.
Reply to
Matt B.