HELP! Baked Rabbits!

Good Morning!

I have a 1982 VW Rabbit 2 door diesel with 432,000 miles on it and I've got a bit of a problem.

The radiator fan quit working.

So I check the fuse, fuse ok.

So I check the fan motor, fan motor ok.

Check the ground. Ground _Seems_ ok.

replaced the thermo switch in the side of the radiator, still no good.

Right now I've got a toggle switch wired in, and I turn the fan on manually.

and the 1984 4d gas rabbit I just bought is doing the same thing!

please help.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew House

Does it have A/C? Might be relays or maybe fuse box. I have seen corroded wiring near the battery causing problems like yours..

IIRC I think you have a 1 speed fan????? Your fan needs power and ground. It could ground through the radiator fan switch as long as your fan motor gets a fused power source.

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Nope.

Might be relays or maybe fuse box.

I can't seem to find any documentation on how the fusebox is normally set up, so it's a little dificult to troubleshoot. It's the one that uses the "Tab" stlye fuses.

I have made sure that the wiring to the fan, and to the thermo switch is

clean.

I'm not sure.

So far it's working, but it's running really hot. I can do short hops, but nothing to far...

Reply to
Matthew House

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

TBerk

hilarious. No really, I'm laughing my ass off. Thank you _So_ much.

not.

Reply to
Matthew House

Actually, it would appear I have done you a disservice. My apologies.

Reply to
Matthew House

A friend of mine had a similar prob. The fan would not come on and overheat. He replaced several components but come to find out it was the thermostat near the water pump failed to open causing no hot coolant to get to the radiator, hence the fan not coming on.

Might just want to feel the radiator when running to see if it gets hot.

Matthew House wrote:

Reply to
Jerritt

Reply to