Chicago area emissions testing

My loose master plan for my 81 Rabbit convertible is to give it to my daughter when she turns 16 in a few years. She lives in Palatine Il which requires emission testing (over 75% of the country doesn't require testing and my ex has to move to one of the areas that does). I've done an engine swap and some other changes (like a GTI air flow meter and fuel distributor). Now that I've got it all where I want it I'll need to see if I can get it to pass emissions. Somebody out there has to live in the Chicago area and has upgraded an old VW. Have you guys had any problems with emission testing and how did you get around it.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Any muffler shop should be able to add the cat. Cut and weld...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Cool, I didn't even think about that. The other thing that I'm not sure of is that I know some states do a visual inspection to see if it has a cat still on it. I don't know about Il. So I might fail it before I even start. I was hoping someone from Il would tell me exactly what they expect for.

Reply to
sehaare

HI Tony I know well were Towanda is. I grew up in Havana and took RT136 to I-55 and then pass Towanda on the way to Chicago to see many Card-Cub games in my youth. I'm in the military currently in Bremerton WA and have the car registered in Havana. The one concern that have with keeping it registered there is that I think Palatine requires some kind of City Sticker that I think would require the emission test to be passed. I don't really want to give my daughter a car that gets her stopped for no sticker then get another fine for no emissions testing. Plus have you ever heard of a 16 yr old driver that didn't get pull over for something ( I know it took me less the a month for my first speeding ticket). So I imagine a scenario she gets pulled over for speeding they bounce the registration off where her driver's license says she lives and she gets a big fine.

Thanks for the advice Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Thanks for the info John.

What is a AV plate? If I'm just two years away from no test> : My loose master plan for my 81 Rabbit convertible is to give it to my

Reply to
sehaare

Dave,

Thanks for the advise. Yep the O2 sensor still works. one of the first things that I had to replace for a stable idle when I first got the car. In fact I just checked the system (cis with lambda) with a dwell meter and it was dead on %50 (45 degrees on dwell). I think that I could get access to an exhaust analyzer to tweak it a little more if necessary but I don't know what the spec is for my car. Plus as I understand it they do the test while on a dyno so checking emissions at idle probably would do me any good anyway.

Thanks again Steve

Reply to
sehaare

I would suggest licensing it where you live (as long as it's in IL) and then just taking it up there after that.

I live in Towanda, IL (not too far from Bloomington) and there is no emissions testing around here. My cousin had a '79 Chevy pickup that we had put a pretty hot 350 motor in and took all the emissions equiptment off of it, including the cat. He went away to school in Naperville and when he tried to license it up there, it wouldn't pass emissions testing. So he just left it licensed under his parents' address in Bloomington, and took it up there with him.

-- Tony Kimmell '96 Chevy C-1500 '84 VW Rabbit diesel '81 VW Rabbit diesel (parts)

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

dave wrote: :>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com :>

:>sehaare wrote: :>: My loose master plan for my 81 Rabbit convertible is to give it to my :>: daughter when she turns 16 in a few years. She lives in Palatine Il which :>: requires emission testing (over 75% of the country doesn't require testing :>: and my ex has to move to one of the areas that does). I've done an engine :>: swap and some other changes (like a GTI air flow meter and fuel :>: distributor). Now that I've got it all where I want it I'll need to see if :>I :>: can get it to pass emissions. Somebody out there has to live in the Chicago :>: area and has upgraded an old VW. Have you guys had any problems with :>: emission testing and how did you get around it. :>

:>: Thanks :>: Steve :>

:>Well, for my 86 GTI when I took it in for the tests, I don't recall them :>spending much time looking under it. The test is graduated depending on :>age so you might pass just fine... For $25 you can take it into the :>Schaumburg :>test site off Golf road and they'll test it (it's free if you received a :>test notice, if you just want to test it, you have to pay). That's not too :>far from Palatine. :>

:>I think your right on the fringe of testing.. in 2006 you can put AV plates :>on it and then you don't need testing... :>

: There IS hope! : Testing is supposed to be free even without a notice. :-)

No it's not, it's only free if you get a notice, otherwise people could take their cars in anytime they wanted for free and make the lines longer... If you don't have a notice, it's $25 because the state won't reimburse them for testing a car that doesn't have to be tested (it's a private company that does the testing).

: The examiners that I have seen do glance under the vehicles with mirrors so it : is not really a thorough job, but I am not sure that they are looking for the : required cat. conv. Not even sure that some of them know what they look like. : lol

Well, with the stuff running down the middle of the car, and the cursory glance under the car, I think if you didn't have it but your emissions were in line, that they wouldn't notice.

: If you do add one, make sure it is a high flow cat so it does not spoil your : mods already done. : Remember that if it fails they will give you a waiver after the three failure : if you have spent enough to correct the emission problems. So do nothing until : after the first test! ;-)

Yes, although if you fail you need to spend up to $450 in repairs each time (every 2 years) that you fail and you have to take it to a certified shop, they probably won't let you go without a cat.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

sehaare wrote: : Thanks for the info John.

: What is a AV plate? If I'm just two years away from no testing then no : problem I won't be back in Illinois for at least one more year then I could : just register it somewhere else for another year.

Antique Vehicle. They are .25 the cost of regular plates too as they last for four years.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

aren't there some conditions with these types of plates. You can only drive them X amount of miles per year And supposedly only to certain locations with maybe a leisure drive once in a while.

read here

dave

The Rabbit will probably pass. :-) They might look for a cat. conv though. :-(

dave

dave wrote: :>No it's not, it's only free if you get a notice, otherwise people could take :>their cars in anytime they wanted for free and make the lines longer... If :>you don't have a notice, it's $25 because the state won't reimburse them for :>testing a car that doesn't have to be tested (it's a private company that :>does the testing).

: I just sent someone to have their vehicle tested the same month they bought the : vehicle, 97 Passat VR6, and they tested it with no fee here in Chicago. I : wanted to make sure the used VW would pass emissions, it was one of the : conditions on the Bill of Sale.

: I guess different stations have their own RULE$. 8^)

says $20 (I though $25). If your running people thru the tests for free let me know so I can contact the Illinois Attorney General and point them to another place that is draining our already in debt state of $'s ;-)

I'm taxed enough... what car dealership do you work for? And would you give me $2k on a 86GTI tradin?

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Hi John, It could be since she had just bought the Passat, maybe they made it an official test. It did not exactly fall into the other three categories. I will ask her again to see if she paid a fee. Maybe one of the advantages for females. 8^)

I am independent. :-) good luck with the sale of the 86 GTi.

dave

dave wrote: :>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com :>

:>dave wrote: :>:>No it's not, it's only free if you get a notice, otherwise people could :>take :>:>their cars in anytime they wanted for free and make the lines longer... If :>:>you don't have a notice, it's $25 because the state won't reimburse them :>for :>:>testing a car that doesn't have to be tested (it's a private company that :>:>does the testing). :>

:>: I just sent someone to have their vehicle tested the same month they bought :>the :>: vehicle, 97 Passat VR6, and they tested it with no fee here in Chicago. I :>: wanted to make sure the used VW would pass emissions, it was one of the :>: conditions on the Bill of Sale. :>

:>: I guess different stations have their own RULE$. 8^) :>

:>

says $20 (I though:>$25). :>

:>If your running people thru the tests for free let me know so I can contact :>the Illinois Attorney General and point them to another place that is :>draining :>our already in debt state of $'s ;-) :>

:>I'm taxed enough... what car dealership do you work for? And would you :>give me $2k on a 86GTI tradin? :>

:>-- :>John Nelson

: Hi John, : It could be since she had just bought the Passat, maybe they made it an : official test. : It did not exactly fall into the other three categories. : I will ask her again to see if she paid a fee. : Maybe one of the advantages for females. 8^)

: I am independent. :-) : good luck with the sale of the 86 GTi.

Ah, well, if you know of a later model GTI around and can work out a trade deal... keep me in mind... I like the car, but I think something a bit newer would be better, even if just a 90's version...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I personally like the 86 GTis, but if you want something newer definitely go for it. :-) I will keep my eyes open for a clean one. Are you going for the 16V or ???

I looked at a 97 GTi and their doors were damaged at the lower hinges. I feel the doors are too heavy and not properly reinforced from the factory causing the door to crack at the hinge area. NOT GOOD! :-(

dave

dave wrote: :>Ah, well, if you know of a later model GTI around and can work out a trade :>deal... keep me in mind... I like the car, but I think something a bit :>newer would be better, even if just a 90's version... :>

:>-- :>John Nelson

: I personally like the 86 GTis, but if you want something newer definitely go : for it. :-) : I will keep my eyes open for a clean one. : Are you going for the 16V or ???

Yep... something with a little more pep. Or might rebuild this one, been looking at crankshafts on ebay...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing