Clear-coat peeling

I just noticed some peeling clear-coat on the hood, right front fender and lower right front door in my 2002 Passat wagaon (purchased used.) No accidents since I've owned it, and none according to the Carfax report I ran on the car when I bought it.

Anyone had a similar problem with recent vintage VW's?

-- Jeff '02 Passat 4Motion Wagon

Reply to
Jeff

I have noticed clear-coat peeling on new cars on the lot. IOW, the QA is not always what you would want it to be. Some people trade in their new vehicle after six months because the new car smell is not as strong. Others do it because....

Reply to
Peter Parker

Ask a good bodyshop if they can tell if the car was painted or in an accident? If the answer is no, then ask your dealer to take a look. It is possible your car was in an accident and was repaired. My opinion is CarFax is for one reason, to sell cars and make money for CarFax CEO! How would carFax know if the car was ever in a minor accident? I think they only know if: 1-someone tells them, 2-if car gets a totaled title.

Reply to
Woodchuck

VINTAGE VW's have good enamel paint, not clear coats... they don't have this problem... your car is 2-3 years old and is not vintage...

but yeah, the clear coat on my 81 rabbit is peeling really bad... I can't believe I am going to have to get a new paint job on it... that one is only

23 years old :-/ it's brother and sister 81 rabbits that have the enamel paint have decent paint jobs... the more frequently washed/waxed one needs a new paint job because 1) VW wrecked the car when new and used a clear coat on the back half that is peeling and 2) after 23 years of wash& wax the paint is wearing through to the primer... the lago blue bunny still has good factory paint though... as do the 3 87 cabriolets' and vanagon! my 74 beetle is doing well except for that door that was repaired and clear coated... the 71 beetle that someone repainted has clear coat issues and need repainted after just a couple years... the rest of the aircooled cars I have still have that old enamel paint going strong!!!

too bad you can't get the old paint anymore :(

Reply to
VWGirl

warranty gone?

Reply to
DDB

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be visiting the local bodyshop soon to get this fixed; I like the car too much to let this go any farther.

I know what you mean about the old enamels VW used to use. My first new VW was an 85 A2 Golf with "Cosmic Blue" paint, which naver aged, cracked, or peeled a bit that I could see.

-- Jeff '02 Passat 4Motion Wagon

Reply to
Jeff

You kids crack me up. Good old enamel is the stuff they had on the 61 beetle, or the 66 or 67. Not them new cars like an 85. that stuff was already environementally safe stuff.

"Jeff" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning