Cyl. Heads

I posted recently about a slight ticking noise on an 84' Jetta 1.7l EN engine and thought it was from the valve lash out of wack. I checked and they were all within spec. I did notice however that when I turn the crankshaft by hand, there is a hissing sound throughout each compression stroke. Could that be a burnt valve, or a valve not sealing correctly? The engine was overheated about a year ago and the head was warped. Could it be that the valves don't seal just right b/c the seats are warped. Would it be best to get a new or rebuilt head, or would a valve job fix it? Can you even get new heads for the 1.7l EN anymore? Or is thi hissing sound normal?

Would it hurt the block/pistons in anyway if I would continue to run it like that as I am somewhat short on cash?

Thanks in advance, JJ

Reply to
Jerritt

Dunno about the hissing (I'd guess it's normal relief of pressure based on my experience but I can't hear yours) and the cam followers are most likely causing the ticking. I don't recall, if they're hydraulic, switch to solid or vice versa. On my '85, I just put up with it. The '89 has been nice to me so far.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl